Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Spring Retreat 2012 Part 2

Have you ever laid out a quilt - especially a scrap quilt, rearranged it, fussed over it, asked friends for their opinions and finally got the layout perfectly?  You then label all the rows, stack them up and keeping them in order, take them to the sewing machine, get it all sewn together and when it is all together you realize that you actually do have two pieces of the same fabric touching or a block is turned the wrong way.  Well, this weekend Donna came up with a term for this - The Fatal Flip.  I don't know anyone who this has not happened to so now you know the technical term for this. :)

Here are more pictures of our weekend:
Nancy Z made this lovely quilt using charm squares and a tumbler tool that was pretty neat.  It cut the pieces  quickly with very little waste.  The fabrics in this were beautiful.

Betsy made this cool quilt top with charm squares and a jelly roll.  The fabrics were really nice - there is nothing like a red, white and blue quilt.  I guess that is why I have several!

Lynne worked on some Christmas presents also, this green and white Shamrock table runner was so crisp!  You can't go wrong with two color quilts.

 Tippy received a block every month from her secret pal at her quilt guild that was appliqued.  Since there were 12 blocks and they were on the diagonal, it was kind of a puzzle to lay it out.  I think she did an excellent job with it and her lattice and border fabrics were perfect!

Donna kept busy working on her flag quilt similar to the one I did a few months ago.  She kept at it but had to leave for a while on Saturday to go to a Kentucky Derby Party!  She is the life of our group - she keeps us on task when we have a 'meeting'; she focuses us when we are doing a group project.  I don't think we would be the group we are without her influence!  I didn't get any pictures of her work in progress but it is going to be a CUTE flag!

We also got some really nice gifts - every morning the little gift fairy left us a treat. Here are some of the things we found at our sewing table:
There was a jar with needles, thread, some lavender seeds and a stiletto, some thread heaven, a charm pack, some fork pins, binder clips, a thread catcher and some hand knit dish cloths (made by Betsy).  A couple of girls from a local quilt shop stopped in to see what we were up to and brought enough fat quarters for all of us!  That was a great surprise!  Mary did an awesome job of finding treats for us.

Lastly, I worked on a couple of Schnibbles.  This one is called Hot Cross and it's made with "Butterscotch and Roses".  I also worked on Plan C using "Ruby" but it is laid out in rows and I wanted to come home and use my design wall to do that.  I will post pictures when it is done.  I also worked on my 'stash buster' quilt. Our group has challenge each other to make a quilt using stuff you already have in your stash.   No buying of anything.  I will be showing that off in the fall when we have our reveal.

I have to thank some very wonderful friends for making the weekend so fun and relaxing.  It was a well needed time of inspiration and friendship time.  

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

I love all the quilts, but the Hot Cross Buns I think is my favorite. Very pretty!

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

Well-written post! I'm sending my readers over :)

Nicole said...

Great quilt show! I enjoy seeing such terrific projects.

Michelle said...

Oh my I just found your blog and was having a nosy and came across this quilt, I made this quilt too out of the same fabric range, Lol I certainly had to do a double take!!!