Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Remembering My Dad


My Dad was a husband, father, grandpa, great-grandpa, brother, son, uncle, friend, and farmer.  He worked hard all his life raising grapes, peaches, tomatoes, corn and five children.  He and my Mother had a roadside fruit market that was open from May - November, Monday - Saturday, 9 am - 9 pm. In the summer, his day often started at 3 am when he would leave to go to the farmer's market to purchase produce for our market that he did not raise himself.  All four of my brothers and I took turns working at the 'stand' and helping my Dad and Mom in the vineyards, orchards and fields.  He sent most of us to college and always supported us in everything we chose to do.   In the winter, he spent hours in the vineyards, trimming grapes in the freezing cold.  My Dad had a tan that ended at his eyebrows and his elbows from working outdoors all of his life.  He loved his family, little children and a good meal.  He taught us honesty, decency and love of God and family.  I see some of his traits in each of my brothers and that makes me smile and gives me comfort.  My Dad went to heaven 6 years ago today and I miss him more than I can ever say.  I hope I have made him proud.

4 comments:

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

You certainly have made both of your parents proud. I love this post. Knowing him, he would have been humbled by it.

Siobhán said...

(((((((((((((((((Audrey))))))))))) Your dad sounds like he was a great guy and I'm sure he is proud of you and your family.

Wendy Bretz said...

I know he is proud! He raised you to be the best mom ever and was the greatest grandpa on the earth. We miss him too!

Nancy said...

I'm sure he is very proud of you. this tribute proves that he did a excel job with all of you especially his little princes.